Alabama Pesticide Education Information

Alabama Commercial Applicator Permit FAQs

  1. How many Categories of Commercial Pesticide Applicators are there in Alabama?
  • There are over 20 Categories.
  1. I don’t know what Commercial Applicator Permit I need.
  1. If someone wants to pay me to apply pesticides should I apply for a Private Applicator Permit or a Commercial Permit?
  • Commercial Applicator means a permitted applicator who uses or supervises the use of restricted use pesticides and other pesticides for any purpose or on any property and if applied with compensation other than trading of personal services between producers of agricultural commodities. Commercial applicators shall be further identified according to the type of pesticide application they are engaged in.
  1. What’s the Deal with Ground Mode or Aerial Mode of Operation?
  • Ground or Aerial Application is required as part of some Commercial Pesticide Categories. These are not a stand-alone permits. If you are looking for more information regarding Permits that require Aerial or Ground testing see these specific Commercial Categories: Agricultural Pest Control - Plant Permit, Aquatic Pest Control Permit, Forest Pest Control Permit, Public Health Permit, and Right of Way Permit. You will find these categories require you to select a Mode of Application Test (Aerial or Ground Equipment). Relevant study material for this testing is incorporated into those category study manuals.
  • You will be required to get a Certificate of Insurance for Aerial or Ground Mode of Application.
  • Air Mode Commercial Applicator Permit Page.
  • Ground Mode Commercial Applicator Permit Page.
  1. I need to get a Fumigation Pest Control Commercial Applicator Branch Supervisor Permit
  • Those passing examinations as Branch Supervisors (FB) can supervise Branch Offices only. You must pass the examination for Certified Operator to enter into business for yourself or to supervise services from a main office.
  • In addition to testing at the Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries in Montgomery, Computer-based testing is available for the "Branch Supervisor Exam Only, (FB)" on a weekly basis at eight testing sites in the state of Alabama. Cost of exams for this Pest Control method is $125.00 per exam. You may sign up to take the online exams by visiting; once approved, you will receive an approval e-mail from the Alabama Department of Agriculture.
  • Fumigation Pest Control Commercial Applicator Permit Information
  1. I am looking for a Fumigation Pest Control Certified Operator Exam, can I do this online?
  1. Is there online testing available for Commercial applicator permits?
  • No, there is only COMPUTER-BASED TESTING for commercial applicators available at one of eight testing centers – Athens, Auburn, Birmingham, Hanceville, Headland, Millbrook, Mobile, and Pelham:
  • Online Testing is $125.00 per exam.
    • Testing at the Montgomery office location does not incur the extra 50.00 exam fee, as it is a paper based exam only.
  • Process: (1) Apply for examination(s) and include qualification statement if applicable {certain categories only}, (2) wait for e-mail approving your application, and then (3) schedule and pay for your exam(s)
  • The Certification & Testing unit administers exams for persons wishing to get a permit in plant-setting, landscape design, and/or tree surgery, as well as those seeking to become certified as a commercial pest control applicator.
  1. I just passed my test for my Commercial Applicator Permit, what’s next?
  1. Can I renew my permit online?
  1. Can I get online recertification points for my permit?
  1. I forgot how many points I have, is there somewhere I can look for this information?
  1. How do I get a Reciprocal Commercial Applicator Certification Permit?
  1. What states do we have reciprocity with?
  • Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana, Mississippi, Ohio, South Carolina, or Tennessee
  1. I forgot to get points to recertify my permit, how long do I have after my permit expires?
  • For applicators that currently hold certification in a category but have not attained the required amount of points to have it renewed.
  • The permit cannot be expired for more than one year in order to qualify for the recertification exam.
  • After one year you will have to train and test for the commercial applicator permit category again.
  1. I have seven categories, do I have to get 30 points for each category?
  • No you do not need to worry about getting 30 points for all seven categories. You simply need to ensure that when you take a recertification training, it is in one of the categories you hold in order for those points to count. If you take a class in a category you do not hold, the points will not be applied to your recertification points.
  1. Where do I find the Study Materials for the General Standards?
  • Your General Standards Study Material is included in your manual for study purposes. When you purchase your category specific manual the information is in the book.